The horse is ready to ride – as soon as it opens that is. After a Kicking Horse Mountain Resort preview on Monday, November 19th, 2018 we can say with confidence that it’s ready to go now, but you’ll just have to wait. WHY?! Because while the snow might be prime, the patrol still has a hefty job to convert all of this wild terrain into something safe and skiable for all. Prepped with avalanche gear and after solid communication with the mountain operations, our digital editor and KHMR athletes headed up the mountain for a day of scoping the conditions.
RECAP OF OUR KICKING HORSE MOUNTAIN RESORT PREVIEW:
- Great coverage on all aspects.
- Ski out is IN! We rode top to bottom on “It’s a Ten” no problem!
- Face shots are waiting for you in every turn.
- Patrol is working like crazy to get it ready for you.
- The boot packing team is making serious progress.
- Sunrises from Eagles Eye are to die for.
- We really missed this place.
- It was even better than we remembered it from last season.
KHMR OPENING DAY DETAILS
Official opening day for KHMR is set for December 7th, 2018. Just enough time from now to wax your skis, get a new season pass photo, and solidify your opening day crew. What will be open? Check this long list out:
- Bowl Over (#33 Sluiceway, #28 Knee Deep)
- Crystal Bowl (#10 It’s A Ten, #35 Think Twice, #36 Northern Lights, #37 Cloud Nine, #38, #39 )
- Feuz Bowl (#75 High Horse to #85 Mustang Sally, #107 Feuz Ski-Out)
- Mid-Mountain (#31 Upper Bubbly, #32 Upper Euphoria, #41 Downshift, #43 Blaster, #45 Tail Spin, #46 Lone Ranger)
- Lower-Mountain (#1 Jelly Bean, #5 Snow Goose, #6 Mummery, #10 It’s A Ten, #97 Little Ben)
Building up to opening day there’s plenty to do all week in Golden that will keep your snow stoke at an all-time high. Don’t forget to celebrate at the Rockwater with all on the 8th!
December 3: HOJI The Movie is playing at the Rockwater.
December 5: Staying Alive Conference at the Civic Centre for all of your backcountry go-ers out there.
December 7: OPENING DAY! The annual first gondola raffle to support the Golden Food Bank is back, details here.
December 8: Shred Kelly is playing at the Rockwater.
What a tease the Kicking Horse Mountain Resort preview was – we won’t be back for a while so be sure to make some turns for us and throw back a celebratory shaft at the Riverhouse! Whether you’re looking to solo ski bum or gather the annual ski troops for a glamours getaway, Golden has a wide variety of accommodations to get you sorted. From Chatter Creek (check out Logan and Kye’s parts) to hotels in the heart of Golden to mountainside lodging, there’s so much to ski in this gem of a town, put it on the radar this winter. BONUS – it’s on the Epic Pass this year if you’re part of that club 😉