Alex Armstrong, or ARMY as you might know her is up to something awesome – zero surprise there. This good human has found a way to get cheap gear to ski hungry humans AND support the BIPOC outdoor community. As you can tell, we’re pretty jonesed about what this girls up to, mic toss – you’re up Army!
GOOD GEAR AUCTION EXPLAINED
If you’re looking for a way to support the BIPOC community in the outdoors, look no further! I’m running an online Instagram snow sports gear auction, Good Gear Auction, with 100% of the proceeds going towards Colour the Trails and Indigenous Women Outdoors. These two organizations are based out of Vancouver, BC with their mission being to break down the barrier of entry and create opportunities for BIPOC folks to connect to the outdoors. This winter they will both have a snow sports component to their programming!
What Are We Up To?
From September 28, 2020, 12 pm PST to October 4, 2020, 5 pm PST, we will be using Instagram as a platform to auction donated gear @good.gear.auction. Each item up for auction will be an individual post with an item description, location, and start bid listed in the caption. The bidding will be in the comment section.
How Can You Help?
From September 11, 2020, to September 25, 2020, we’re accepting gear submissions! We’re looking for new or lightly used hard goods and soft goods (though helmets must be new for safety reasons). We are also accepting ski photography prints for our art section.
If you don’t have any gear to donate, please consider simply following and sharing our account. There are also social media assets attached to this email that we welcome you to use freely.
How Gear Donation Works
- You take a photo of the gear you would like to donate
- Send the photo and the town in which it’s located to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We post it on our Instagram account @good.gear.auction
- After the auction ends October 4, 2020, at 5 pm PST and the buyer is confirmed by way of payment through PayPal, we connect you to the buyer
- The donor and the buyer will be responsible for arranging pick-up or shipping.
- Use https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1 to quote the buyer shipping costs and have the buyer e-transfer you
- Ship your donated item by October 16, 2020
For more details, I’ve attached our guidelines below. I hope you’ll consider donating some gear and help support these amazing grassroots organizations making our snow sports community a more welcoming and diverse place! If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to reach out.
Thanks for your consideration,
P.S. Feel free to forward this to any of your friends that might want to be involved and donate gear!